About Me

My photo
I am a second year librarian at Versia Elementary in Fort Worth, Texas.

Friday, November 16, 2012

Evaluating, Implementing, and Managing Instructional Programs



Chapter 10 discusses evaluation in instructional design and provides you with two evaluation models, the CIPP and Kirkpatrick models for evaluation. Search for at least two other models used for evaluation and summarize these models. Describe how you would use them to evaluate your instruction.

My first evaluation model is Goals-Oriented/Objectives-Based (Ralph Tyler, 1949).  The goals-orientated objective is as follows: (Unknown)
1.      Establish comprehensive goals or objectives.
2.      Classify the goals or objectives.
3.      Define objectives in behavioral terms.
4.      Find situations in which achievement if objectives can be shown.
5.      Develop or select measurement techniques.
6.      Collect performance data.
7.      Compare performance data with behaviorally stated objectives.
 
I taught a course called Business Computer Information Systems I.  During this class students created various charts to include a line chart, a bar chart, a column chart, and a pie chart.  I will use the goals-oriented evaluation model to evaluate students understanding of traditional percentage math concepts and creation of a pie chart using Excel.  Students at this point are familiar with Excel Spreadsheets.  We will also create a pie chart manually as they (students) do in a traditional math class.  A flow is my evaluation is below. 






My second evaluation model will be the Adversary/Judicial Model:

With this model two teams of evaluators representing two views of the program’s effects argue their case based on the data gathered.  Then, a judge or a panel of judges decides which side made a better case and makes a ruling. The question this type of evaluation addresses is, “What are the arguments for and against the program?”

My instruction:

I would use this model to evaluate the effectiveness of the iPad in the classroom.  I would create one reading lesson.   The purpose of the lesson is monitor students’ comprehension.  Usually on the elementary level, the teacher reads the story out aloud and asks questions.  However, to determine if there is a difference in teacher-read stories or reading apps, an extensive study will be conducted to weigh the pros and cons of traditional reading verses student centered reading activity using the iPad.  I would consider such questions:

A.     Will the reading app hold the student’s attention?

B.     Will app induce student curiosity and suspense?

C.     Will student recognize the main character?

D.     Is the reading app challenging?

E.      Does the reading app appeal the reluctant reader?

I will conduct this lesson for six weeks and incorporate other reading apps.  At the end of the six weeks, I compare data collected (traditional vs. ipad apps).  I will judge the effectiveness of the iPad in a reading class.  I had experience about a month ago.  A master teacher came into the library for an evaluation and I was showing the kids the Rainbow Fish.  This was a required reading by the district.  I did not have the book in my collection.  The master teacher was not too happy with the online version of the book.  However, the kids answered all the questions related to the story.  I will use the model again.


Reflect on what other questions that instructional design evaluation should address besides whether the instructional design leads to comparable amounts of learning and learner satisfaction as traditional methods. What else would be useful to know?




Evaluators should want to know the following:

a.     What outcome is expected of students or program at the end of the session?

b.     How is data collected for evaluation?

c.    Is the lesson/program age appropriate?

d.     Is the program challenging?

e.      Does it provide a reflection time?

f.    Does the program create higher level thinking activities?

g.    Are assignments are applicable to the unit and test students’ knowledge?

h.       Is program/course content consistent with the course objectives?

Chapter's 12 & 13 focus on project management and how to manage projects when resources are scarce. You have been assigned to develop a series of professional development sessions focusing on technology use in the classroom for teachers during a time of economic decline. How will you use Situational Leadership to facilitate this project and manage scarce resources?

Due to the economic decline, I’ve chosen to develop a session on Amazing Web 2.0 projects for the classroom.

 


Phase I
Phase II
Phase III
Phase IV
Give teachers history of Web 2.0 tools.
Ascertain if they are already integrating web 2.0 tools in the classroom.
Show examples of how tools can be used across the curriculum.
Web 2.0 tools are introduced.  Teachers are given a list of possible Web 2.0 tools to use.  Teachers brainstorm on how a lesson can be enhanced with the Web 2.0 tool.
Teachers create rigorous and exciting lessons utilizing Web 2.0 tools.
Teachers teach a lesson with the web tools.
Teachers return for a time of reflection and more brainstorming.
Teachers return to class and create additional lessons using Web 2.0 tools.  I will visit the classroom to encourage continued use of the tools.  Teachers will receive additional Web 2.0 tools to use.
Supervisory
Team-Buy In
Reward
Monitor



2 comments:

  1. Hello Chandra,

    The examples you used in summarizing the evaluation models made the evaluation models easy to understand. Great job. In the Adversary/Judicial model, however, I think more gains on pros and cons of the technology would be made if you allow others to evaluate it instead of yourself, as the model calls for two evaluators, or two views. A Web 2.0 project for staff development during economic decline is a great idea providing these tools are accessible. In my case, for instance, many of the Web 2.0 tool sites are blocked and I need to obtain special permission to use them in-district.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chandra, I LOVE the Adversary/Judicial Model! My husband and I often use this method to make decisions in our lives. I had not stumbled upon this one during my research. I have to agree with Yolanda on this... If you are the one who knows what the intent of the content needs to be, you should be the judge. I would only allow others to "judge" content if it were a collaborative group aimed towards the same goal, for example, the math department I work in. Well done!

    ReplyDelete