About Me

My photo
I am a second year librarian at Versia Elementary in Fort Worth, Texas.

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Getting an IDT Position and Succeeding at It


Begin your post for this week with some background: what is your current job, what program are you enrolled in, what brings you to that program, and what do you expect when you graduate (change jobs? obtain a promotion?). 
 
I am currently employed as an elementary librarian in with Fort Worth Independent School District.  I am working on my Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science.  After graduation I plan to continue in the library profession.

Next, describe the kind of work that you want to do and the type of organization or institution in which you want to work. Use the WorkMatrixTM in the chapter titled “Getting a Job in Business and Industry” to help organize your thoughts. Do you most desire first, second, third, or fourth level service? Or would you rather design or develop instruction? What features of work are important to you? What economic sector do you want to work in?

I would like to work as a librarian on the middle school or high school level.

Type of Work – Order of Importance

1.      Teaching, delivering and training:  I prefer teaching technology applications or tools.

2.      Develop instruction:  I prefer to create effective lessons.

3.      Create basic knowledge to inform designers of instructional models:  I prefer to field-test lessons or do the research.

4.      Train trainers:  I am not interested in training trainers.

 
Features of Word – Order of Importance

1.      Geographic location is important

2.      High promotion opportunity

 
Economic Sector – Order of Importance

1.      Education

2.      Government

3.      Other/Church

4.      Knowledge Industry

 My highest job requirement is that I enjoy going to work.

Based on these intentions, explain what you need to learn. What skills and qualifications do you need? Will you obtain the skills you need in the required courses in your program? What electives might you need to take to help you develop skills specific to your aspirations?

Based on my intentions, I need to learn proper interview techniques as I would like to move to the middle school level as a librarian. The skills I need has a librarian is in the area of mini lessons.  We have much to cover in 30 minutes.  I can take more electives in technology.  I enjoy teaching technology.

 Finally, carefully examine the professional organizations and conferences listed in the chapter titled "Professional Organizations and Publications in IDT." What organizations would best support your continued learning after you graduate? Do you think you would benefit from joining those organizations before graduating? Explain why or why not? What conferences or annual meetings do you think it would be helpful to you to attend? Select at least two and tell what you could learn from attending.

I would like to join the American Educational Research Association.  This organization is concerned with improving education.  It also disseminates the information from research results.  I would to also join the Association for Educational Communications and Technology.  This organization promotes the use of educational technology and its application to learning. I believe I can join the organization before graduating.  I can receive valuable information on technology applications.  I would like to attend AECT’s annual conference.  However, it will be in Singapore this year.  I believe I would learn how to improve instruction through technology.  Secondly, I would like to attend the Association for Applied Interactive Multimedia.  I looked this organization on the internet and I could not find a site.  I would like to attend the International Technology Education Association’s conference.  This organization is devoted to enhancing technology experiences in K-12 schools.  They also publish a magazine – Journal of Technology Education.  I would gain knowledge on how to improve technology literacy in K-12 schools.
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chandra,
    I liked your WorkMatrix. I think Train Trainers is not the favorite type of work for most people here. I also would like to develop instruction to create better lessons. In past five years, I saw that you enjoy teaching and students enjoy learning if there is well-prepared lesson for that day. Thanks for sharing various organizations that would be benificial for us in your blog. I will definitely take a look them. Good luck

    ReplyDelete